Sports
Cricket Australia chairman of selectors Rod Marsh quits
Melbourne, Nov 16: Cricket Australia (CA) chairman of selectors Rod Marsh on Wednesday resigned with immediate effect, in the wake of the national Test team's woeful performance that witnessed five consecutive losses.
Australia's surrender to South Africa in the first two Tests of the three-match series has left CA pondering over several issues as the twin defeat comes after the 0-3 whitewash they suffered against Sri Lanka away.
They had also lost all the five One-Day Internationals (ODIs) played in South Africa before to the Test series.
Even though Rod Marsh claimed that he had not been forced out of the role, he felt that the team needs fresh thinking.
"This is my own decision and no one within Cricket Australia has pressured me or even suggested that I should do this. Clearly, though, it is time for some fresh thinking, just as it is for our Test team to welcome some new faces as we build for the future," he said in a CA release.
"I have always had the best interests of Australian cricket foremost in my heart, and that's why I have made this decision," added Rod Marsh, whose contract was to run till June, 2017.
"I have thoroughly enjoyed the role and want to thank the coach, the staff, my co-selectors and all the players for their support and honesty over the past two and a half years. It was a thrill for me to be involved in many successes, including the World Cup win in 2015."
Rod Marsh was appointed Chairman of Selectors for CA on May 2, 2014, replacing John Inverarity. He was previously Cricket Australia's manager of elite coaching development.
CA chairman David Peever thanked Mr Marsh for his tenure and involvement in Australian cricket.
"Rod has played a pivotal role during a time of change in Australian cricket, which has seen the team hold the top positions in both Test and One-Day rankings as well as secure an ICC Cricket World Cup victory," Peever said.
"We understand this decision has not come easily for Rod and on behalf of Australian cricket we thank him for his leadership and the integrity and insight he brought to the role throughout his tenure as the National Selector and the lifelong commitment he has given to our sport. Above all else, Rod is an outstanding person."
CA's Board will hold an extraordinary meeting later on Wednesday evening, where a decision on an interim appointment is expected to be reached.
35 minutes ago
US: Afghan national charged with making terrorist threat in Texas
36 minutes ago
Trump declares Venezuela airspace closed after threatening land action
37 minutes ago
US: At least four people killed, 10 others injured in shooting in California
39 minutes ago
Kerala Raj Bhavan to be renamed ‘Lok Bhavan’ from Dec 1
40 minutes ago
Indian Navy's journey to self-reliance a matter of national pride: PM Modi on induction of INS Mahe
41 minutes ago
Reforms reloaded after Bihar boost as Winter Session of Parliament begins tomorrow
42 minutes ago
Delighted that winter tourism in U'khand is attracting lot of people: PM Modi
43 minutes ago
'Heartwarming to see deep connection to sacred Buddha relics': PM Modi recalls Bhutan visit
44 minutes ago
'Vocal for Local': Gifted 'Swadeshi' things to world leaders during G-20 Summit, says PM Modi
44 minutes ago
MCD bypoll: Delhi CM votes in Shalimar Bagh, asks electors to join celebration of democracy
45 minutes ago
Stalin govt 'bankrupting' universities, claims BJP
46 minutes ago
Parliament Winter Session: Oppn flags key issues at all-party meet, criticises short duration
1 hour ago
Govt orders WhatsApp, Telegram, other apps to block access without active SIM
