Business
Snapchat brings paid subscription service to India amid layoffs, poor growth
New Delhi, Aug 10
Photo-sharing platform Snapchat on Wednesday launched its paid subscription service in India for Rs 49 per month, as it aims to increase revenue amid slowed growth and layoffs globally.
The subscribers in India will receive a Snapchat+ badge for their profile with a Star designation.
The Snapchat+ arrives in India at a time when WhatsApp is also geared up to launch seven new features with its upcoming update.
"India is an important market for Snap and investments in localizing the app experience has been key to our growth in the region. We're very excited about offering exclusive, experimental, and pre-release features to our Indian Snapchatter community who is eager to try our new products and features," said Lakshya Malu, Interim-Market Development Lead, Snap.
Snapchat in June announced Snapchat+, a collection of exclusive, experimental, and pre-release features available on the platform, for $3.99 per month.
It was then available in the US, Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE.
"We have always enjoyed creating new features for our community, and historically we have tested new features in different ways, rolling them out to various Snapchatters and geographies," the company had said in a statement.
"This subscription will allow us to deliver new Snapchat features to some of the most passionate members prioritised unity and allow us to provide prioritised support," it added.
The company claims that over 332 million people worldwide use Snapchat every day. In India, it has over 100 million monthly active users.
Not just Snapchat but several other popular apps have started paid subscription services after Apple's introduced a privacy feature with iOS 14.5, allowing users to turn off ad tracking for apps.
Instant messaging platform Telegram's founder and CEO Pavel Durov recently confirmed that a subscription-based offering called 'Telegram Premium' will be coming later this month.
Meanwhile, reported surfaced that Snap was set to sack employees and was in early stages of planning layoffs.
The Verge reported earlier this week that the job cuts at Snap are coming after the company posted disastrous quarterly results (Q2) amid poor future forecast.
"It's currently unclear how many of Snap's more than 6,000 employees will be laid off, as managers across the company are still planning the full scope of the cuts for their teams," the report claimed.
Snap, the parent company of Snapchat, suffered nearly $10 billion loss and its shares hit a new 52-week low over disappointing quarterly results last month.
The company reported a net loss of $422 million compared to $152 million in the prior year as it "substantially" reduced hiring.
Snap had earlier announced to slow down hiring this year.
1 hour ago
Ashwini Vaishnaw flags off Swarnanagari Express, connecting Jaisalmer to Delhi
2 hours ago
Badshah creates 'OG moment' with Raveena Tandon as the two groove on 'Kar Gayi Chull'
2 hours ago
Kunal Kemmu says 'Never Doubt your potential' as he flaunts his chiseled abs in a mirror selfie
2 hours ago
Suresh Krissna tells Rajinikanth: I’d want to be reborn as a director and hopefully direct another 'Annamalai', 'Baba', 'Baasha'
2 hours ago
Harshvardhan Rane takes 10-Day nature break after 38 days of planning
2 hours ago
Vijay Varma receives a special gift from Gulzar that left him feeling surreal
2 hours ago
Sydney Sweeney is handling fame 'incredibly well', says ‘Christy’ co-star Ben Foster
2 hours ago
NIA custody of Anmol Bishnoi extended by 7 days
2 hours ago
Kerala LoP Satheesan accuses CPI(M) of shielding criminals, defends Cong stand in Rahul MLA case
2 hours ago
No differences between us, we will work jointly for 2028 Assembly polls: K'taka CM, Dy CM declare unity
2 hours ago
Kerala HC to view Malayalam Film 'Haal' before deciding on certification appeal
2 hours ago
Delhi blast: Police seek details of foreign-educated doctors working in private hospitals
2 hours ago
Delhi court defers decision in National Herald case to Dec 16
