Headlines
Trump addresses Taliban deal with senior advisors
Washington, Aug 17
The president of the United States met his national security team to discuss peace negotiations with the Taliban, which could lead to the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan.
"We are working diligently on the path forward in Afghanistan," Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Friday, Efe news reported.
"In continued close cooperation with the government of Afghanistan, we remain committed to achieving a comprehensive peace agreement, including a reduction in violence and a ceasefire, ensuring that Afghan soil is never again used to threaten the United States or her allies, and bringing Afghans together to work towards peace," he added.
In addition to Donald Trump and Pompeo, the meeting was attended by Vice President Mike Pence, Defence Secretary Mark Esper, National Security Advisor John Bolton, Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and Central Intelligence Agency Director Gina Haspel.
On Aug 13 after the eighth round of negotiations in Doha, Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid told EFE that work on the agreement with the US was complete, although the sides would meet again after each team completes final consultations, and the agreement will be signed in the presence of international guarantors.
An agreement between the Taliban and Washington could include the reduction of US military personnel in Afghanistan from 14,000 to 9,000, one of Trump's objectives since he came to power.
Reportedly, in turn, the Taliban will pledge not to collaborate with al-Qaeda and prevent the terror group from using areas under Taliban control to finance, recruit or train fighters or plan operations.
They must also commit to start peace negotiations with the government of President Ashraf Ghani, to which they have so far refused. The talks would presumably be hosted by Oslo.
Trump aspires to leave only a small contingent dedicated to the fight against terrorism in Afghanistan.
"We are working diligently on the path forward in Afghanistan," Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Friday, Efe news reported.
"In continued close cooperation with the government of Afghanistan, we remain committed to achieving a comprehensive peace agreement, including a reduction in violence and a ceasefire, ensuring that Afghan soil is never again used to threaten the United States or her allies, and bringing Afghans together to work towards peace," he added.
In addition to Donald Trump and Pompeo, the meeting was attended by Vice President Mike Pence, Defence Secretary Mark Esper, National Security Advisor John Bolton, Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and Central Intelligence Agency Director Gina Haspel.
On Aug 13 after the eighth round of negotiations in Doha, Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid told EFE that work on the agreement with the US was complete, although the sides would meet again after each team completes final consultations, and the agreement will be signed in the presence of international guarantors.
An agreement between the Taliban and Washington could include the reduction of US military personnel in Afghanistan from 14,000 to 9,000, one of Trump's objectives since he came to power.
Reportedly, in turn, the Taliban will pledge not to collaborate with al-Qaeda and prevent the terror group from using areas under Taliban control to finance, recruit or train fighters or plan operations.
They must also commit to start peace negotiations with the government of President Ashraf Ghani, to which they have so far refused. The talks would presumably be hosted by Oslo.
Trump aspires to leave only a small contingent dedicated to the fight against terrorism in Afghanistan.
57 minutes ago
Air crisis: Aviation experts react as 6,000 Airbus A320 jets grounded for software update
2 hours ago
Ashwini Vaishnaw flags off Swarnanagari Express, connecting Jaisalmer to Delhi
3 hours ago
Badshah creates 'OG moment' with Raveena Tandon as the two groove on 'Kar Gayi Chull'
3 hours ago
Kunal Kemmu says 'Never Doubt your potential' as he flaunts his chiseled abs in a mirror selfie
3 hours ago
Suresh Krissna tells Rajinikanth: I’d want to be reborn as a director and hopefully direct another 'Annamalai', 'Baba', 'Baasha'
3 hours ago
Harshvardhan Rane takes 10-Day nature break after 38 days of planning
3 hours ago
Vijay Varma receives a special gift from Gulzar that left him feeling surreal
3 hours ago
Sydney Sweeney is handling fame 'incredibly well', says ‘Christy’ co-star Ben Foster
3 hours ago
NIA custody of Anmol Bishnoi extended by 7 days
3 hours ago
Kerala LoP Satheesan accuses CPI(M) of shielding criminals, defends Cong stand in Rahul MLA case
3 hours ago
No differences between us, we will work jointly for 2028 Assembly polls: K'taka CM, Dy CM declare unity
3 hours ago
Kerala HC to view Malayalam Film 'Haal' before deciding on certification appeal
3 hours ago
Delhi blast: Police seek details of foreign-educated doctors working in private hospitals
