Headlines
Guterres overstepped UNSC mandate in report on children in conflict: India
United Nations, Aug 3
India has said that UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres overstepped the Security Council's mandate on reporting on children in armed conflicts by including New Delhi in a selective manner that politicises the issue in his recent report.
"In spite of the clear mandate by the Council, we are disappointed that the report of the Secretary-General includes situations which are not armed conflicts or of threat to maintenance of international peace and security," Paulomi Tripathi, a First Secretary in India's UN Mission, told the Council on Friday.
The manner in which the report was made impacts the "credible, impartial and transparent implementation of the mandate given to the UN system", she said during the Council's open debate on Children in Armed Conflict.
"Such an attempt to expand mandate in a selective manner to certain situations only politicizes and instrumentalises the agenda, obfuscating and diverting attention from the real threats to international peace and security," she added.
Guterres's report on Children in Armed Conflict released on Tuesday had an added section: "Situations not on the agenda of the Security Council or other situations", which dealt with India and four other countries, that are not in a state of armed conflict.
While his report said that terrorist groups operating in Jammu and Kashmir and Maoists groups elsewhere have recruited children as fighters, it also added that children continued to be killed or injured in operations by the security forces in Jammu and Kashmir and in areas of Maoist activity.
It noted that there were reports of sexual violence against girls by security forces in Kashmir citing the Kathua rape case.
Four police personnel were among six people convicted last month by a special court in the rape and the killing of the eight-year-old girl in Kathua.
"We are cognisant of the urgency to act now to protect today's child victims in order to prevent tomorrow's armed conflicts," Tripathi said.
In his report, Guterres had also said that he welcomed "the government's measures to provide protection to children, notably through the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights".
The section on "Situations on the agenda of the Security Council", which conforms to its mandate, deals with countries like Afghanistan, Yemen, Libya and the Democratic Republic of Congo, which are in a civil war situation that overwhelms the nations. (This section also included Israel and Palestine territories.)
The inclusion of India and countries like Thailand and even Pakistan in an added section appears to be arbitrary because it places them on the same level as those countries covered by the Council mandate, while at the same time ignoring countries in Central America, for example, where violence has led to an exodus of thousands of children escaping the brutalities.
The annual report has had problems with its credibility and its selectivity and it was even admitted by former Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
He said in 2016 that under pressure he had removed from the report mention of child victims from the Saudi coalition's bombing campaign in Yemen.
Saudi Arabia had threatened to withhold funding for UN programmes if its role was mentioned.
"I also had to consider the very real prospect that millions of other children would suffer grievously if, as was suggested to me, countries would de-fund many UN programs," Ban said.
The report had originally said that the Saudi coalition was responsible for half the hospitals and schools attacked and about 60 per cent of the children injured or killed in Yemen.
"In spite of the clear mandate by the Council, we are disappointed that the report of the Secretary-General includes situations which are not armed conflicts or of threat to maintenance of international peace and security," Paulomi Tripathi, a First Secretary in India's UN Mission, told the Council on Friday.
The manner in which the report was made impacts the "credible, impartial and transparent implementation of the mandate given to the UN system", she said during the Council's open debate on Children in Armed Conflict.
"Such an attempt to expand mandate in a selective manner to certain situations only politicizes and instrumentalises the agenda, obfuscating and diverting attention from the real threats to international peace and security," she added.
Guterres's report on Children in Armed Conflict released on Tuesday had an added section: "Situations not on the agenda of the Security Council or other situations", which dealt with India and four other countries, that are not in a state of armed conflict.
While his report said that terrorist groups operating in Jammu and Kashmir and Maoists groups elsewhere have recruited children as fighters, it also added that children continued to be killed or injured in operations by the security forces in Jammu and Kashmir and in areas of Maoist activity.
It noted that there were reports of sexual violence against girls by security forces in Kashmir citing the Kathua rape case.
Four police personnel were among six people convicted last month by a special court in the rape and the killing of the eight-year-old girl in Kathua.
"We are cognisant of the urgency to act now to protect today's child victims in order to prevent tomorrow's armed conflicts," Tripathi said.
In his report, Guterres had also said that he welcomed "the government's measures to provide protection to children, notably through the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights".
The section on "Situations on the agenda of the Security Council", which conforms to its mandate, deals with countries like Afghanistan, Yemen, Libya and the Democratic Republic of Congo, which are in a civil war situation that overwhelms the nations. (This section also included Israel and Palestine territories.)
The inclusion of India and countries like Thailand and even Pakistan in an added section appears to be arbitrary because it places them on the same level as those countries covered by the Council mandate, while at the same time ignoring countries in Central America, for example, where violence has led to an exodus of thousands of children escaping the brutalities.
The annual report has had problems with its credibility and its selectivity and it was even admitted by former Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
He said in 2016 that under pressure he had removed from the report mention of child victims from the Saudi coalition's bombing campaign in Yemen.
Saudi Arabia had threatened to withhold funding for UN programmes if its role was mentioned.
"I also had to consider the very real prospect that millions of other children would suffer grievously if, as was suggested to me, countries would de-fund many UN programs," Ban said.
The report had originally said that the Saudi coalition was responsible for half the hospitals and schools attacked and about 60 per cent of the children injured or killed in Yemen.
8 hours ago
Trump says Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirely'
13 hours ago
Air crisis: Aviation experts react as 6,000 Airbus A320 jets grounded for software update
14 hours ago
Ashwini Vaishnaw flags off Swarnanagari Express, connecting Jaisalmer to Delhi
15 hours ago
Badshah creates 'OG moment' with Raveena Tandon as the two groove on 'Kar Gayi Chull'
15 hours ago
Kunal Kemmu says 'Never Doubt your potential' as he flaunts his chiseled abs in a mirror selfie
15 hours ago
Suresh Krissna tells Rajinikanth: I’d want to be reborn as a director and hopefully direct another 'Annamalai', 'Baba', 'Baasha'
15 hours ago
Harshvardhan Rane takes 10-Day nature break after 38 days of planning
15 hours ago
Vijay Varma receives a special gift from Gulzar that left him feeling surreal
15 hours ago
Sydney Sweeney is handling fame 'incredibly well', says ‘Christy’ co-star Ben Foster
16 hours ago
NIA custody of Anmol Bishnoi extended by 7 days
16 hours ago
Kerala LoP Satheesan accuses CPI(M) of shielding criminals, defends Cong stand in Rahul MLA case
16 hours ago
No differences between us, we will work jointly for 2028 Assembly polls: K'taka CM, Dy CM declare unity
16 hours ago
Kerala HC to view Malayalam Film 'Haal' before deciding on certification appeal
