Headlines
Sonebhadra carnage: 200 men on 32 tractors fired for an hour
Sonebhadra, July 19
The bloody clashes that left 10 persons dead in Murtiya village in Sonebhadra now seem like a scene straight out of a Bollywood potboiler.
According to reports, the village head and the main accused in the massacre, Yagya Dutt, had brought about 200 men on 32 tractor trolleys to take possession of the disputed land.
After the tribals who were tilling the land, opposed his attempt to take possession of the land, Yagya Dutt's men fired at them for over half-an-hour.
"They just started firing. Once people started falling to the ground, they began hitting them with lathis. It was plain horror," said an eye witness.
The shootout continued for nearly half-an-hour.
The eye witness said: "We did not know they had come armed with guns. When they started firing, we ran here and there to save ourselves and kept calling the police which came an hour later."
The dispute between the villagers and the village chief pertains to a piece of 36 acre land. Initial investigation reveals that the tribals have tilled the land for generations, but they do not have its ownership titles, which they have been demanding for decades.
The main accused claimed he had bought the land 10 years ago from a prominent local family.
In 1955, a huge chunk of land, including the area covered by the village, was transferred to a cooperative society formed by a family, under a government scheme, the probe reveals.
In 1966, the scheme was abolished but the land was not returned to the government.
In 1989, the land was transferred to individuals in the same family, including the relatives of an IAS officer. This family sold a chunk of this land to the village chief in 2010.
"The tribals here have been appealing to government officers for decades. They raised objection to the sale. This land should rightfully belong to the local gram sabha (village assembly). But no one listened to them," said Chhote Lal, a BJP leader.
Twenty four people have been arrested so far in connection with the shootout.
According to reports, the village head and the main accused in the massacre, Yagya Dutt, had brought about 200 men on 32 tractor trolleys to take possession of the disputed land.
After the tribals who were tilling the land, opposed his attempt to take possession of the land, Yagya Dutt's men fired at them for over half-an-hour.
"They just started firing. Once people started falling to the ground, they began hitting them with lathis. It was plain horror," said an eye witness.
The shootout continued for nearly half-an-hour.
The eye witness said: "We did not know they had come armed with guns. When they started firing, we ran here and there to save ourselves and kept calling the police which came an hour later."
The dispute between the villagers and the village chief pertains to a piece of 36 acre land. Initial investigation reveals that the tribals have tilled the land for generations, but they do not have its ownership titles, which they have been demanding for decades.
The main accused claimed he had bought the land 10 years ago from a prominent local family.
In 1955, a huge chunk of land, including the area covered by the village, was transferred to a cooperative society formed by a family, under a government scheme, the probe reveals.
In 1966, the scheme was abolished but the land was not returned to the government.
In 1989, the land was transferred to individuals in the same family, including the relatives of an IAS officer. This family sold a chunk of this land to the village chief in 2010.
"The tribals here have been appealing to government officers for decades. They raised objection to the sale. This land should rightfully belong to the local gram sabha (village assembly). But no one listened to them," said Chhote Lal, a BJP leader.
Twenty four people have been arrested so far in connection with the shootout.
1 hour ago
US: Afghan national charged with making terrorist threat in Texas
1 hour ago
Trump declares Venezuela airspace closed after threatening land action
1 hour ago
US: At least four people killed, 10 others injured in shooting in California
1 hour ago
Kerala Raj Bhavan to be renamed ‘Lok Bhavan’ from Dec 1
1 hour ago
Indian Navy's journey to self-reliance a matter of national pride: PM Modi on induction of INS Mahe
1 hour ago
Reforms reloaded after Bihar boost as Winter Session of Parliament begins tomorrow
1 hour ago
Delighted that winter tourism in U'khand is attracting lot of people: PM Modi
1 hour ago
'Heartwarming to see deep connection to sacred Buddha relics': PM Modi recalls Bhutan visit
1 hour ago
'Vocal for Local': Gifted 'Swadeshi' things to world leaders during G-20 Summit, says PM Modi
1 hour ago
MCD bypoll: Delhi CM votes in Shalimar Bagh, asks electors to join celebration of democracy
1 hour ago
Stalin govt 'bankrupting' universities, claims BJP
1 hour ago
Parliament Winter Session: Oppn flags key issues at all-party meet, criticises short duration
2 hours ago
Govt orders WhatsApp, Telegram, other apps to block access without active SIM
