Headlines
34 killed in Kabul blast, Taliban claim responsibility
Kabul, July 1
At least 34 people were killed and 68 injured after a powerful blast claimed by the Taliban rocked the Afghan capital of Kabul in the morning rush hour on Monday, authorities said.
The attack comes when a Taliban delegation and US representatives are carrying out the seventh round of meetings in Qatar to discuss peace negotiations in Afghanistan.
A witness told Xinhua news agency that militants entered an under-construction building in the morning in the high-security Pul-i-Mahmoud Khan area of Kabul and exchanged fire with the security forces who reached the site to control the situation.
According to the witness, the militants first detonated their explosives-laden car and then began firing.
The area targeted is close to a branch of the Defence Ministry building, a sports stadium, a branch of the Information and Culture Ministry and houses.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the bombing in a statement, saying that the target had been the logistics and engineering department of the Ministry of Defence, Efe news reported.
The initial explosion at the entrance opened the way for insurgents to enter the building and target the personnel inside, according to the statement. It claimed that several soldiers and Defence Ministry officials had been killed so far and that the attack was still underway.
Following the explosion, which could be heard several kilometres away, a huge rising column of smoke could be seen.
Defence Ministry vice-spokesperson Fawad Aman told Efe that the attack occurred near the Ministry's logistics and engineering department.
Facilities located near the site of the bombing include the headquarters of Shamshad TV where several of its employees were injured in the explosion, said one of its journalists.
The incident comes as American and Taliban negotiators are meeting in Qatar amid hopes for a deal on American troop withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Both sides are seeking a way out of nearly two decades of armed conflict in the nation, although, so far the Taliban have refused to negotiate with the Afghan government.
The attack comes when a Taliban delegation and US representatives are carrying out the seventh round of meetings in Qatar to discuss peace negotiations in Afghanistan.
A witness told Xinhua news agency that militants entered an under-construction building in the morning in the high-security Pul-i-Mahmoud Khan area of Kabul and exchanged fire with the security forces who reached the site to control the situation.
According to the witness, the militants first detonated their explosives-laden car and then began firing.
The area targeted is close to a branch of the Defence Ministry building, a sports stadium, a branch of the Information and Culture Ministry and houses.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the bombing in a statement, saying that the target had been the logistics and engineering department of the Ministry of Defence, Efe news reported.
The initial explosion at the entrance opened the way for insurgents to enter the building and target the personnel inside, according to the statement. It claimed that several soldiers and Defence Ministry officials had been killed so far and that the attack was still underway.
Following the explosion, which could be heard several kilometres away, a huge rising column of smoke could be seen.
Defence Ministry vice-spokesperson Fawad Aman told Efe that the attack occurred near the Ministry's logistics and engineering department.
Facilities located near the site of the bombing include the headquarters of Shamshad TV where several of its employees were injured in the explosion, said one of its journalists.
The incident comes as American and Taliban negotiators are meeting in Qatar amid hopes for a deal on American troop withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Both sides are seeking a way out of nearly two decades of armed conflict in the nation, although, so far the Taliban have refused to negotiate with the Afghan government.
12 hours ago
US: Afghan national charged with making terrorist threat in Texas
12 hours ago
Trump declares Venezuela airspace closed after threatening land action
12 hours ago
US: At least four people killed, 10 others injured in shooting in California
12 hours ago
Kerala Raj Bhavan to be renamed ‘Lok Bhavan’ from Dec 1
12 hours ago
Indian Navy's journey to self-reliance a matter of national pride: PM Modi on induction of INS Mahe
12 hours ago
Reforms reloaded after Bihar boost as Winter Session of Parliament begins tomorrow
12 hours ago
Delighted that winter tourism in U'khand is attracting lot of people: PM Modi
12 hours ago
'Heartwarming to see deep connection to sacred Buddha relics': PM Modi recalls Bhutan visit
12 hours ago
'Vocal for Local': Gifted 'Swadeshi' things to world leaders during G-20 Summit, says PM Modi
12 hours ago
MCD bypoll: Delhi CM votes in Shalimar Bagh, asks electors to join celebration of democracy
13 hours ago
Stalin govt 'bankrupting' universities, claims BJP
13 hours ago
Parliament Winter Session: Oppn flags key issues at all-party meet, criticises short duration
13 hours ago
Govt orders WhatsApp, Telegram, other apps to block access without active SIM
